14 August 2012

Paleo Cauliflower Pizza Crust

So, in my quest for the best Paleo pizza, I started where any newbie would start:  the cauliflower pizza crust.  Well-known among the Paleo crowd, I have to say I was less than impressed.  I want a pizza I can hold in my hand, and the cauliflower failed to deliver.  Taste-wise it was okay, but not a pizza replacement.
The recipe is extremely basic:  1 cup of cauliflower that has visited the food processor, 1 cup of finely shredded mozzarella, 2 eggs, and 2 tbs of oregano.
I used purple cauliflower.  Because I can.  After steaming it, it needs to be well-dried before visiting the food processor.
Shred your own mozzarella.  Mozzarella in block or ball form has normal, natural ingredients - even the cheap kind.  When you buy pre-shredded, it has extra additives to keep it from clumping.  It's worth the extra three minutes to shred your own, I promise.
Bake at 450* for 15-20 minutes.
Kyle worked at a pizza shop in high school, so he's always in charge of the sauce.  I don't know what black magic goes into that sauce (he swears it's different every time) but it's the best sauce I've ever had.  Here's a picture of the magic, but I can't tell you what any of it is except for the crushed red pepper.
Anyway, top the pizza with sauce and stuff.  You don't need instructions for that.  Be creative.  Then bake it until the cheese starts browning - 10 to 15 minutes.
It tasted delicious.  How could it not, with all those amazing toppings?  However, it wasn't quite "pizza."  Maybe on the next try, I'll consult this blog post and see what her "great pizza experiment" results were.
Paleo Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup steamed cauliflower
  • 1 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbs oregano
Instructions:
1.  Dry the cauliflower well (you might want to wait for it to cool).  Put in food processor until well processed.  Mix with the other ingredients.
2.  Spread cauliflower mixture out on a (bacon-)greased pan.  Bake at 450* for 15-20 minutes
3.  When pizza crust is browned, top with sauce, toppings and cheese.  Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until cheese is starting to brown.
 

1 comment: